for furniture! Just as people change their appearance with garments, slipcovers can
transform your furniture. You can make your rooms more formal or casual, stylish or
seasonal, etc., according to you taste.
A. THE HISTORY OF SLIPCOVERS (A
fun fact for you next Trivial Pursuit game!)
Before air-conditioning, white cotton slipcovers were used to drape furniture in order to
cool the environment.
- Upholstered furnishings are typically the largest pieces in a room. Therefore, changing
their appearance can be one of the most effective ways of updating your interior.
- Slipcovers allow you to change the look of a room, as the seasonís change.
- They can improve the appearance of upholstered pieces, until you can afford new
furniture, or reupholstering. (If your home is on the market, you might increase its
appeal by sprucing up the interior with slipcovers.)
- Slipcovers are functional. Machine washable covers allow pets and kids to share your
space without ruining your favorite furniture.
- Slipcovers allow for easy experimentation with fabric, free from the complexity,
commitment, and expense of re-upholstery.
- Custom made, form-fitting slipcovers can be as expensive as re-upholstery.
- Like bed covers-you have to straighten them. On occasion, you need to re-tuck fabric
that has come loose. (Note: Textured fabrics, such as jacquards, adhere better to
D. SLIPCOVER PROJECTS (For detailed instructions, please consult the book or
sites listed below.)
*Note: Avoid heavy upholstery fabrics when making slipcovers. Preshrink the material. Most
pillows and seat cushions look best when they are plump and firmly stuffed.
- Do it yourself (simple): Tying fabric to the legs of a chair. Stools are easy projects.
You can drape them with fabric, then knot the corners, tie them with cord, or use buttons.
- Do it yourself (complex): For the avid sewer, tailoring a material to fit tightly to a
E. HOW TO SELECT A READY-MADE COVER
Look for slipcovers that are semi-fitted, and elasticized. These are easy to slip on with
no pins and no fuss. Creatively tucking and styling the arms can be made to look more
tailored, or casual. (Consult catalogs, books or sites, listed below, for detailed
Permission is granted to print or reproduce e-zine material if the following is included:
Author: Catherine Foust McGivern, NCIDQ Certified, Design Firm Principal